The trends developing in the modern IT-driven society, as well as the active development of science and technology and the rapid adaptation of innovations for various areas of production, have given a powerful impetus to the application of new linear motion systems.
With their help, you can significantly increase the productivity of the company and improve the quality of products. Modern linear motion solutions are composed of various elements and software tools that allow you to adapt them to perform a wide range of tasks.
Linear Motion Systems
Linear actuators are the basis for creating linear motion systems. They ultimately enable one to automatically move work tools, workpieces, measuring instruments, or loads in almost any business. Linear systems usually consist of:
- A linear module.
- A linear cylinder.
- A linear table.
Profiles, rails, telescopic rods, and many other elements can be used as guiding elements.
The movement of the mechanical drive is carried out by helical, rack, or belt drives. The most common is a toothed belt in combination with a ball pair. To ensure the operation of the electric drive, different types of synchronous and asynchronous electric motors are used.
Linear movement has become a spotlight production capacity relatively recently, but it is already widely used in various manufacturing fields. All types of linear displacements perform similar functions. These include:
- Providing smooth and stable linear motions.
- Carrying stress loads.
Use of Industrial Automation
Using linear motion machines in production makes it possible to solve a fairly wide range of tasks, which include:
- improving the quality of workflow and expanding the functionality of technological and packaging machines.
- Gaining the ability to automate packaging and production lines using portal manipulators.
- Creation of automated measuring systems for multi-axis movement systems.
- Cutting, welding, sizing, and special processing of sheet materials.
Linear motion machine can also come in quite handy in such fields as:
- machine-building enterprises;
- shipbuilding and ship repair;
- machine tool construction and assembly of various equipment;
- production of equipment for the food and light industry;
- production of optics and telescopic equipment;
- logistics and product packaging.
All in all, the use of linear displacement systems is efficient in almost any industrial field.
The basic components of such systems include elements with a significant set of options. Therefore, linear motion systems are capable of solving even the most complex production tasks.
The industrial linear actuator is a set of devices that provide linear motion and is the basis of a linear motion system. Depending on the type of energy consumed, these types of linear drives are distinguished as:
- a pneumatic electric drive that works due to the energy of compressed air;
- a hydraulic actuator that operates due to the pressure provided by the fluid;
- an electric actuator.
In order to convert energy into mechanical energy and ensure the operation of a linear drive, different types of electric motors are used in different models, depending on the production needs. It can be either an alternating current motor or a direct current motor. Some models also use DC motors and servo drives.
Robotic linear motion systems are also gaining great popularity. As a rule, they include several industrial robots, devices, and tools that perform one or more related technological operations. Learn more about robotic systems.
The main advantage of the robotized production complex is its versatility. The process of readjustment is carried out by replacing several or even one element, as well as changing the operation algorithm of individual robots. Therefore, such complexes are characterized by high maneuverability and reliability when performing even the most complex operations.
Рerformance Requirements for Linear Motion
The linear motion technique is very popular due to the fact that it allows you to significantly automate production processes (learn more about automation). The advantages of such systems include:
- the ability to control the system remotely, automatically, or manually depending on the operator’s desire;
- the ability to stop the production line at any time and in any intermediate position;
- a heavy-duty linear actuator can withstand the load in any position;
- the function of signaling the end or intermediate position of the working line;
- the ability to move the rod in both forward and reverse directions;
- a constant speed of movement;
- a heavy-duty electric actuator consumes energy exclusively when moving;
- systems work perfectly in adverse environmental conditions;
- the ability to work at extremely low or high temperatures;
- compactness and low weight of systems;
- no need for constant maintenance.
The quality control of a product or production process during the operation of a straight-line movement line can be carried out by the same operator that controls its operation as a whole. In this case, if a fault is found, the specialist can immediately stop the line and eliminate a possible malfunction. But with proper installation and adjustment, the likelihood of faults is minimized.
Benefits of Using Linear Motion Systems for Business & Cost Efficiency
Currently, more and more enterprises are turning their attention to the use of linear solutions, as this can significantly reduce costs and improve labor productivity. The use of automated lines ultimately allows you to:
- increase the overall productivity of the business as a whole or a specific production segment;
- reduce the number of workers who are engaged in line maintenance;
- improve the working conditions, since workers no longer have to do excessive physical work;
- optimize the internal space of the enterprise and, if necessary, reduce production areas;
- improve the quality of products;
- reduce the self-cost of products.
Мaintenance & Support of Linear Motion Systems
Linear motion systems do not require daily maintenance. To ensure uninterrupted operation of the production line, one operator is enough to monitor the operation and, if necessary, reprogram individual elements. Systematic maintenance will ensure the operation of the line for many years.
Thanks to linear displacement systems, it is possible to enhance the quality of production processes, increase enterprise productivity, and significantly improve the working conditions of personnel. Despite the fact that this technical solution has gained wide recognition on the market quite recently, it is already actively used in various fields of activity. And you shouldn’t miss out as well.